Win at Iona was not just exciting, but historic
Chavaughn Lewis’ game-tying shot from beyond half-court to force overtime was dramatic enough to rank in at number three on Sportscenter’s Top 10 plays. If you missed the video of the shot, you can watch it at the link below.
Marist went on to defeat Iona in New Rochelle 105-104 in double overtime. The win will rank among one of the most exciting in recent history, but also one of the most historic.
Some facts concerning last night’s game:
- The final score of 105 was the Red Foxes’ highest since scoring 108 in a loss at Niagara in 1999, and the first time a score went over 100 in a win since 1996, when they defeated Long Island 104-74.
- It was the first win for the Foxes against Iona since Mar. 6, 2009 in the MAAC Tournament. Since then, the Gaels had prevailed eight straight times.
- It was the second road win of the season for Marist, and just the seventh in the last five years.
- Career highs set: Adam Kemp, points (29) and rebounds (16); Chavaughn Lewis, assists (8).
- Jay Bowie scored 21 points and grabbed seven rebounds in his return after having not played since Dec. 22 with concussion-like symptoms.
- The win was without Devin Price, who was sidelined after reinjuring his ankle. The senior is averaging 14 points per game.
The Red Foxes (6-18, 3-10) will next take on Loyola on Sunday at 2 p.m. in the McCann Arena.